There are several icons on a Samsung refrigerator with symbols that have specific meanings. These symbols include plug, water, filter, and snowflake symbol.
Some symbols light up independently, and some do when you click them.
Therefore, it is necessary to be aware of the function of each symbol to get maximum control over your refrigerator.
The plug symbol indicates energy saving in the fridge, the water symbol indicates water dispensing, and the water filter symbol indicates how long you have used the water filter. Finally, the snowflake symbol indicates freeze mode in your fridge.
In this article, you’ll learn about the specific meanings of each symbol on your Samsung refrigerator and how to read error codes on the fridge.
Table of Contents
What Does the Plug Symbol Represent on a Samsung Fridge?
The plug symbol is known as the energy saver icon. The symbol looks like a plug attached to a light bulb.
When you click the button where the plug symbol is, the refrigerator switches to energy-saving mode; you refrain from using this mode if you notice condensation.
Condensation occurs in your refrigerator when the warm-laden air cools. Therefore, you will notice a lot of moisture if condensation occurs in your refrigerator.
Here are ways to prevent condensation in your refrigerator:
- First, place your refrigerator in a place with the appropriate temperature. Then, check your user manual to find the best temperature for your refrigerator.
- Avoid locations that are too humid because it can cause condensation in your refrigerator.
- Check your refrigerator for any gaps or cracks. Keep the temperature inside the refrigerator from influencing the cold air inside.
- Make sure the door for your refrigerator seals properly. If your door refuses to seal correctly, clean the seal with a soft cloth and warm water.
- If your door seal is loose or cracked, you will need to get it repaired or replaced.
- Avoid opening your refrigerator frequently. If you frequently open your refrigerator door, the air from outside will get in and cause condensation.
- Make sure the temperature setting in your refrigerator is correct. For example, you should set your fridge around 4 to 5 degrees, and the freezer should be around -18 degrees.
- Refrain from placing too many hot foods into your refrigerator. Also, ensure that the food you’re about to put in your refrigerator is at room temperature.
- Wrap or seal foods with moisture properly before placing them in your refrigerator. The moisture can contribute to the moisture formation in your refrigerator.
- Always make sure that your refrigerator is clean inside and out.
What Does the Water Symbol Represent on a Samsung Fridge?
When lit, the water symbol on your Samsung fridge indicates that the dispenser is ready to give you filtered water.
The water symbol shows a glass with a water droplet in the middle. The glass has a small amount of water at the bottom. You will encounter some common problems when dispensing water from your refrigerator.
Here are some of these problems and how to fix them:
#1. Water Not Dispensing Well,
Here are troubleshooting steps to try out when your dispenser is not dispensing well:
- Ensure that the control lock is not on when water is selected.
- Try to dispense water without the water filter. If the water dispenses, change the water filter, and if it does not, check if you correctly installed the water line to the fridge.
- Purge air from the water line. Hold the dispenser lever to purge air from the water line and try to dispense water for 5 minutes.
#2. Water Dispensers Slowly
Here are troubleshooting methods to try out when your dispenser is dispensing water slowly:
- First, remove the water filter and try dispensing water.
- Then, if you notice holes in your water line, get it replaced
- Refrigerators usually require a water pressure of 30 psi to function. To increase the water pressure in your refrigerator, open the home’s water supply more.
#3. Water From the Dispenser Is Warm or Tastes Bad
If the dispenser’s water is warm, you have used up the cold water in the reservoir. The reservoir typically holds up to 2-4 glasses.
You’ll have to wait for it to get filled up again. If the water from the dispenser tastes terrible, try replacing the filter.
If it still tastes bad after replacing the filter, then the problem must be from your water supply.
What Does the Filter Symbol Indicate on a Samsung Refrigerator?
The filter symbol on a Samsung refrigerator indicates how long you have used your water filter.
You must replace your water filter every six months to maintain the pure and filtered water you take.
The water filter symbol is square-like with dots and a water droplet at the bottom. The water filter symbol reminds you about replacing the water filter.The water filter symbol displays specific colors that have different meanings.
Here is a table to show the color your water filter symbol can display and their meanings:
|Color Indications on the Water Filter Symbol||Meaning|
|Blue||You recently installed the water filter|
|Pink||You have used the water filter for up to five months|
|Red||You have used the water filter for up to six months and need to replace it.|
You must replace your water filter every six months to prevent your water from tasting weird.
If you need to replace your water filter, here are steps to replace the water filter for different Samsung refrigerator models.
#1. RSG5UCRS Samsung Refrigerator
RSG5UCRS Samsung refrigerator models differ in terms of water filters. Some Samsung refrigerators have internal water filters, while some have external filters.
Here is how to replace your RSG5UCRS water filter if it is internal:
- First, unlock the old water filter by twisting it forty degrees to the left.
- Carefully pull out the old water filter and dispose of it.
- Please get a new water filter and push it into the vacant space.
- Twist it forty degrees to the right to lock it.
- To ensure that you placed the water filter correctly, compare the padlock symbol with the symbol on the filter.
- Reset the water filter light indicator, and press the water filter reset button for three seconds.
Here is how to replace your RSUCRS water filter if it is external:
- Turn off the water supply
- Remove the old cartridge in the system and discard it
- Make the arrow flow mark, and the water filter align towards the fridge
- Connect the outlet and inlet tubing to the appropriate end of the water filter
- Make sure the tubing is scratch-free
- Insert the filter clip. You can check for instructions in the installation manual if you need help with how to do that.
- Turn on the water supply and check if the filter leaks
- Allow water to run through the filter for about five minutes for the system to clean.
#2. DA29-00003F Samsung Refrigerator
Here are steps to replace the internal water filter in the DA29-00003F Samsung refrigerator:
- First, twist the old water filter a quarter turn to the left to unlock it.
- Carefully pull out the old water filter and dispose of it
- Please get a new one and push it into space.
- Turn the water filter a quarter turn to the right to lock it
- To ensure that you placed the water filter correctly, compare the padlock symbol with the symbol on the filter
- Press and hold the water filter rest button to rest the indicator lights.
What Does the Snowflake Symbol on a Samsung Refrigerator Indicate?
The snowflake symbol lights up when you use the freezer button. When the snowflake symbol lights up, you can choose various temperatures between -14 degrees and -23 degrees.
This feature allows you to freeze something in a shorter time than expected. The snowflake symbol looks like a hexagon with a snowflake in its middle.
How Do You Read Samsung Error Codes?
An error code will appear on your Samsung refrigerator to determine that an error has occurred. Several different error codes can pop up with different meanings.
Here are error codes that can show up in your Samsung refrigerator and their meaning:
#1. 21E-Freezer Fan Error
Your fridge will display this error code when your fan in the freezer is not rotating. #
This error occurs because of fan motor failure or the door refusing to close up because you packed too many items in the freezer.
#2. 22E, 22C-Fridge Fan Error
The fridge fan error occurs when the fan in your fridge refuses to rotate.
This error occurs because you left the door to the fridge open for too long. You can try unplugging the fridge, opening the door for a few hours, and then plugging it back to fix the error
This error code displays on your fridge when there is low voltage from the power source. This error can cause your fridge to lose power for some time.
#4. Ice Off Blinking
This error code is displayed on your fridge when you didn’t insert the ice bucket or you didn’t insert the ice bucket correctly.
Some refrigerator controls have a Snowflake symbol and a line that narrows as it curves around the control. Moving the dial or control to the Snowflake symbol makes the unit COLDER.What does the filter light mean on Samsung fridge? ›
The Filter light turns red to let you know when it is time to change your water filter cartridge. To give you time to get a new filter the red light comes on just before the capacity of the current filter runs out.How do you know when to change water filter on Samsung refrigerator? ›
We recommend that you replace the water filter every six months. The refrigerator's water filter light will let you know when those six months are up and should be reset after changing the filter. Note: Only use Samsung Genuine Filters that are designed to work with your Samsung refrigerator.What is snowflake warning light? ›
Frost or Cold Warning or Snow Mode Indicator Symbols
As a Frost or Freeze warning indicator, the snowflake or ice crystal symbol will come on in yellow/amber when the outside temperature drops to within a few degrees of freezing (about 40°F). At freezing or below, the symbol may turn red.
Most likely, that means you need to watch out for precipitation to start freezing to surfaces. Since the temperature is dropping from just above freezing to below freezing, there's a decent chance that you could see some icy patches starting to develop, especially on sidewalks, bridges, or anything metal. 2.What does filter status on fridge mean? ›
Orange: The replace filter light will turn orange to tell you that you should replace the filter soon. This is the only time it should be orange. Red: The filter cartridge should be replaced when the replace filter indicator light turns red or if the flow of water to the dispenser or icemaker decreases.What happens if you don t change water filter in refrigerator? ›
If you don't change your filter, you may end up consuming harmful bacteria, chemicals, and particles every time you get a glass of water from the fridge. If the water coming from your refrigerator is found to be contaminated, it may not be the filter's fault.How often do you really need to change your refrigerator water filter? ›
How often to change your refrigerator water filter. Refrigerator water filters are one of the best, most cost-effective ways to ensure your family is drinking clean, fresh-tasting water, but they need to be changed every six months.What happens if you don t change water filter in Samsung refrigerator? ›
Your Refrigerator Ages Faster—In the same way that these harmful chemicals can affect our bodies, they can also affect our refrigerators. Failing to change your fridge's water filter can cause scaling and deposit buildup in the water and ice machine, which can seriously damage your fridge.Can you run Samsung fridge without water filter? ›
Most Samsung water and ice dispensers will work without an AquaPure water filter installed. The water filter housings are designed as rotary valves that allow the water to bypass the water filter whenever there is no filter or the filter is not in the locked position.
- 1) Dispensed Water Tastes Bad. ...
- 2 Ice has an Odd Smell. ...
- 3) Slow Trickle of Dispensed Water. ...
- 4) Ice is Coming Out Small. ...
- 5) Black Specks in Water or Ice. ...
- 6) Water Filter Light Turns On. ...
- 7) Murky Appearance of Water or Ice. ...
- 8) It's Been More than a Year.
It should only take about 20 minutes to force defrost a Samsung refrigerator. This is a lot faster than trying to do a manual defrost. While the defrost is running, you may feel like not much is happening. If you hear the refrigerator beeping, this is an indication that the force defrost is running.What does the snowflake symbol mean on my freezer? ›
snowflake icon. snowflake icon represents the number 1 or the least cold setting. The large snowflake icon represents 6 or the coldest setting. igloo icon. Fast Freeze (on some models)